Men of the Cloth - Those relatives who chose the ministry.

While to my knowledge no Kinseys per se that have entered the ministry, there are a number of relatives who have.

Reverend Walter William Vaughan

There is this quote about Walter William Kinsey made by the local minister:
Mr. [Kinsey] may be liberal, I never saw him but once in the church.
While W.W. Kinsey may not have been the most active churchman, he was the namesake of his uncle - the Reverend Walter William Vaughan of Wales.

Rev. Vaughan was born in St Harmon, Radnorshire, Wales on 9 January 1833. He grew up on Altgoch Farm in St Harmons with his sister Anne. It was Anne who later married Stephen Wilson Kinsey and immigrated to Canada in 1867.

Walter Vaughan later became the Rector at the nearby parish of Llandegley, Radnorshire and served there for over 30 years.

In the St Tecla's churchyard cemetery in Llandegley, there is a memorial stone that reads:
In loving memory
Walter William Vaughan
Vicar of this parish for thirty years.
Born Jan 9th 1833
Died March 5th 1892
Thy Will Be Done
Also of Eliza Ann,
his wife, and daughter of the Rev'd Thomas Thomas, Rector of Disserth.
Died March 23rd 1927 in her 86th year
Bishop Acton Windeyer Sillitoe

In 1894, WW Kinsey's sister Sarah Cecilia Kinsey married Justinan Pelly, a prominent lawyer, in New Westminster, British Columbia. Justinian was strongly connected to the Anglican Church in British Columbia. His father was often raising funds for the fledgling Diocese of New Westminister, B.C. through the SPG - the Society of the Propagation of the Gospel.

Sarah's brother-in-law was Acton Windeyer Sillitoe, the Bishop of New Westminster, B.C. The Bishop had the mandate to look after the concerns of the church over the whole of Southern British Columbia. He would often would be seen riding around from settlement to settlement, serving the small communities of Native Canadians, miners, fishers, etc. The job was ofter overwhelming and the Bishop soon succumbed to disease at age 54.

A biography was written soon after his death and is available today online. Acton's wife, Violet, was also much involved in the work of the church and a number of her autobiographical works are also available.

Bishop Richard Charles Evans

R. C. Evans was born in St Andrew's East, Quebec and was raised in the Anglican Church there. His family moved to London, Ontario later on and he got involved in an offshoot of the Mormon church - the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints (RLDS).

Richard's evangelical zeal soon started to get noticed and he rose quickly through the church ranks from Elder to Minister to Member of the Seventy. He was often noted for his oratory and debating skills and church membership rolls in Ontario ballooned as a result.

By the early 1900's, RC Evans had moved to Toronto where he help grow the RLDS there. He would speak at Massey Hall or Shea's Hippodrome to thousands and his sermons were published weekly in the Toronto World. However, Bishop Evans soon lost favor with the leadership of the church and he left the church. The split was messy and RC ended up being sued by his former church. The case ended up with a split decision and RC Evans passed soon after.

As mentioned in a previous blog entry many of RC Evans works are available online.

The Reverends James and Ephraim Evans

In a sermon, RC Evans tells of the story of meeting his very elderly "uncle" Ephraim Evans on the street in London, Ontario. The exact relationship between these two branches is unproven but both have their roots in the Kingston-Upon-Hull area of Yorkshire, England. More work needs to be done to prove their connections to each other.

Both James and Ephraim were born in Kingston-Upon-Hull and emigrated to Argenteuil County, Quebec in the 1820's. Both became ministers in the Methodist Church in Canada but their took very different paths.

Ephraim Evans

Ephraim Evans entered the priesthood in 1830 and soon started serving the Methodist Church in Ontario and in Eastern Canada. In 1857, he joined a team of 4 Methodist ministers to serve British Columbia. Some of his highlights were being the first principal of Mount Allison College (now University), an editor of the Christina Guardian and an early voice in the fight against slavery. He was superannuated in 1875.

The eminent historian, John Webster Grant, summarized the life of Ephraim Evans by saying, "While Evans’s reputation may have suffered somewhat from his espousal of unfashionable ecclesiastical and political views, his integrity, his ability, and his devotion to Methodism were always beyond question."

He lived until a few weeks short of his 89th birthday and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, London, Ontario.

James Evans

While his brother lived a long, stormy life of 88 years, James lived all but 45 years. His life, however, is no less storied.

He was ordained in 1833, and he spent the majority of his life as a missionary to Native Canadian communities in Ontario and Manitoba. He is most famous for having developed and introduced a syllabic system for the Cree language. Towards the end of his life he was accused of sexual immorality, and later, even murder. Both cases proved untrue but the damage to James mental and physical health was already made. Due to the onset kidney and heart problems, James suffered a heart attack and died in Keebly, England in 1846. After WWII his remains were removed from England and transferred to Norway House, Manitoba where they were reburied with a public memorial.

The fascinating stories of both James and Ephraim Evans can be explored in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.


Popular Posts